“During the asparagus season, members are requested not to relieve themselves in the hat stand.”– sign at a British men’s club
The spring is almost over, but I still see asparagus in the stores so it’s not too late to make some asparagus soup!This is something I miss from home, so I adapted an old Finnish recipe to be dairy free and use bone broth.
- One bunch of asparagus (about a pound)
- 2 cups of bone broth
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- Remove the tough ends of asparagus, cut off the tips for later use and cut up the spears.
- In a large pot, heat up the butter and cook the shallots for a few minutes.
- Add the asparagus and broth, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- If you want to be fancy, save some of the feathery tips of asparagus for garnish later.
- Remove the soup from heat and puree with an immersion blender or food processor.
- Add the coconut milk, salt & pepper and lemon juice.
- Heat and enjoy!